Thursday, July 2, 2009

The Wisdom of my Mother

Let me set the background on this piece of wisdom.

When Frank and I were seriously dating (or maybe even engaged), this is what my mother told me...

"Whenever you and Frank have a fight, DON'T tell me the details because you will forgive him and I will have a harder time forgiving him."

At the time, that seemed very strange to me. Now that I have children of my own it makes perfect sense (the quickest way to hurt me is to hurt my children). I have heard several women tell me how true that piece of advice is (from their own experience) and how they wished they had that very same advice years ago.

I've told Frank on several ocassions what my mother told me. I tell him (often) that when the time comes he will have to remind me of that piece of advice. I pray to God that I will be strong enough to tell my children the same thing.

It will be so hard to cut those apron strings, but that is exactly what we are supposed to do [Eph. 5:31 "For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh."].

I've heard it said that "A mother's job is to work herself out of a job." How true that is.

4 comments:

The Family of Logo said...

Wow! You were blessed with an amazingly gifted mom! What great advice, and oh so true! I did not have such advice and since my mother and I are as close as any best friends could be, she heard a ton of negative details and still has a hard heart towards my Brad. I will use this advice when the time comes! Thank you for sharing!

The Family of Logo said...

Oh, and the quote at the end... my biggest fear is that I succeed... how week am I?

Amanda from Faith, Food and Family said...

This is so true and I learned from experience. I am planning on telling my children the same thing.

You're mother was a very wise woman!

God bless,
Amanda

Jena said...

My mother was my best friend (next to my husband) and it was very difficult for me to follow her advice - as I'm sure it was for her to give it. I am praying ALREADY to be able to cut those apron strings gracefully (I can't imagine how hard it's going to be). Letting go is such a scary feeling.

Related Posts with Thumbnails