Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Pictures of my Half Apron (and another recipe)



I finally had pictures taken of my half apron. You can see how it ties in the back here.

It would also be cute with a pleated pocket or two (check out the tutorial by Made by Rae). Remember I made this apron years ago (if I recall correctly I was pregnant with Lee at the time, he is 10 now) and I didn't have the time (or the know how) for the pleated pocket, but I think it would be so cute.

The nice thing about making an apron out of a dishcloth is there is no measuring and cutting AND the edges are already finished. There is very little sewing (just attaching the ties) that even a novice could do this. This would be a great project for a girl to make for her hope chest (yes, I live in the South and we still do 'Hope Chests' down here). I have to admit, I don't wear mine very often (I should wear it more - it would save some clothes), but in a pinch I have even used it as a dishcloth (don't be surprised, after all that's what it was in it's first life). It has been washed and dried quite often and it has held up just fine.

Reasons this is one of my favorite summer recipes (great one to try out your new Half Apron on).

1) It is quick and easy, but it doesn't taste quick and easy. (It tastes like you slaved over a hot stove, made from scratch kind of good.)
2) It doesn't use the hot stove or oven so you don't have to heat up your kitchen (or just uses oven very little for crust).
3) It is cool and light. Great for hot summer weather or for after a meal.
4) I almost always have the ingredients on hand (most of them in the freezer).

I got this recipe from Taste of Home's Quick Cooking Magazine's Premier Issue (this magazine is no longer in print). :o(

Quick Cocounut Cream Pie

1 (5.1 oz) pkg. instant vanilla pudding mix (I use Jell-O brand)
1 1/2 C cold milk
1 (8 oz.) carton frozen whipped topping, thawed and divided (I use Cool-Whip brand)
3/4 - 1 C flaked coconut, toasted and divided
1 pastry shell, baked (or graham cracker crust) 8 or 9 inches (I use the pastry shell)

In a mixing bowl, beat pudding mix and milk on low speed for 2 minutes. Fold in 1/2 of the whipped topping and 1/2 - 3/4 C of the coconut. Pour into crust. Spread with remaining whipped topping; sprinkle with remaining coconut. Chill. Serves 6-8.

What's your favorite summer dessert (with recipe please - I love recipes almost as much as I do comments)?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails