Sunday, January 10, 2010

7 Can Soup Recipe


Frank and I aren't really soup/stew people (about the only things we eat that are in that category are chili and vegetable beef stew), but we really like this recipe. A man from church made it and brought it to church fellowship once and I just had to get the recipe.

Here is the original recipe (below that are my little personal changes).

7 Can Soup

Brown 1 1/2 lbs. ground chuck, cook and drain; add 1/2 C diced onions - cook a few minutes longer.

Add: 1 can Rotel tomatoes
3 cans minestrone soup
2 cans pinto beans (drain part of liquid off)
2 cans diced tomatoes

Mix all together and simmer at least 20 min. Sprinkle grated cheese over soup and serve with Frito Scoops.

Note: I used 2 cans minestrone soup (because that's all I had) and I substituted 1 can of pinto beans for 1 can of black beans (I like black beans). Salt and pepper or garlic salt to taste. I also try - when I can - to use my own beans that I have cooked and frozen. This is great served with Mexican Cornbread.

Occasionally I brown ground beef ahead of time for soup/chili/casseroles and freeze. Makes mealtime faster.

I like to throw all this in the crockpot (except the minestrone soup - see below) and let it slow cook all day, then shortly before serving add the minestrone soup. (Because of the noodles in the minestrone soup, the noodles will get soggy if cooked in a crockpot all day especially since they were cooked in order to can them first.)

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails