Friday, May 29, 2009

Porch Swing Cushion Part 3

Today is the final day for my 'Sewing a Porch Swing Cushion' post. I know that you are probably glad. I hope I haven't bored you too much.

Just so you know why I did this...

1. I enjoy it.
2. Cost effective. 1 cushion @ $11.87 (normally $21.99), 2 yards of outdoor fabric @ $6.74/yd. (normally $14.99/yd), hook & loop tape and thread that I already had on hand. Total cost of my custom made cushion $23.67. I found a custom made cushion - the same size as what I just made - on the internet for around $60.00 (then there was shipping on top of that).

I also wanted to be able to remove it (without a lot of hassle) for washing if necessary. I don't plan on washing it very much, but let's face it...I have 4 boys and the probability that it will get mud or something spilt on it is pretty high. I also made mine slightly loose so that if I did have to take the foam out several times that maybe the wear and tear on the foam would be minimal (no tearing or stretching).


Here is the box corner after we have sewn the sides and finished the edges and then turned it right side out. It will give it a nice sharp, crisp corner for the foam slab.

Next I took a piece of hook & loop tape and cut it into 3rds. I separated each hook piece from each loop piece. I placed one of each loop piece in the center of the hemmed edge and 1 on each side on the hemmed edge (right next to the hem) and sewed in place.


Slide your foam in the "pocket again and fold the fabric over so you will know where to place the hook side of your hook and loop tape.


I took the hook piece and 1 pin, just to hold in place until I reached my sewing machine. I was lucky that the stripes in my fabric made lining up the hook and loop tape very easy. Otherwise you might need to pin it more.


Here it is with all 3 pieces (both hook and loop sides) sewn on and foam inside. Let's see how it looks in the swing...


I like it. Now it feels great to sit in (not that I'm getting old and hard wood just isn't as comfortable as it used to be).

Part 1
Part 2

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for the instructions, I cannot wait to get started on my porch swing cushions.
thanks again,
Wanda

Jena said...

You are welcome. I hope it helps. We now sit in and enjoy our swing more. I hope you will too real soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the help. I bought a used porch swing but never had one before so didn't realize the seat size is odd- 32"-until I went shopping for a new seat cushion for it. Guess I'll have to make my own, which should be easier now that I have some direction!
Lin

grandmamsie said...

Where did you buy your foam?
Good job on your pics and instructions. Really professional.

Jena said...

I purchased my foam from Hancock Fabrics. I think that I've seen it at Hobby Lobby too. (You could check out JoAnn's, Michaels or even a local furniture reupholstery shop.) Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. I also really appreciate the comments.

Related Posts with Thumbnails