Monday, March 30, 2009

Breakfast Butter Balls Recipe



I was having trouble getting my toddlers to eat breakfast. They didn't like eggs, cereal got old and I didn't want them to have sausage all the time (they would eat that every day if I let them). A nurse gave me this recipe for Breakfast Butter Balls. She said it is healthy, but kids think they are eating candy or cookies.

Breakfast Butter Balls

1/2 C peanut butter
1/2 C nonfat dry milk powder
1/4 C honey or corn syrup
1/2 C cereal
1/4 C raisins (if desired)
powdered sugar (optional)

1. In medium sized bowl, mix peanut butter, dry milk powder, and honey until smooth.
2. Crush cereal (rice crispies are my favorite) by placing it in a plastic bag and crushing it with a rolling pin, jar or your hand.
3. Add raisins and crushed cereal to mixture above. Mix thoroughly.
4. With your hands form into balls the size of a nickle.
5. Roll in powdered sugar if desired.
6. Store in refrigerator for up to 2 weeks or in freezer for up to 3 months.
7. This recipe makes 30 balls and each ball has 43 calories.

I cheated a little (I put in 1/4 C of mini chocolate chips instead of raisins because I like chocolate with my peanut butter and the kids won't eat raisins in food, just by themselves).

The first batch I didn't roll them in powdered sugar, the second batch I did (the powdered sugar is less messy to eat - I know that doesn't make sense, but that's what I found out). My kids can eat these as fast as I can make them (you see there aren't 30 in the picture). I like to keep them in the fridge for an after school snack also. We took these to our Cub Scout Den meeting one night and they were all gone asking for more (I even made a double batch).

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails