Monday, March 14, 2011

Out Live Your Life - Book Review



Out Live Your Life, You were made to make a difference by Max Lucado was an eye opener. I cannot remember why I chose this book, so I didn't really have any expectations of it, but I was really surprised at how it made me think.

It was an easy read. This book has several short, concise chapters, but there was a lot on information to digest (the bone may be small, but there sure was a lot of meat on that bone).

As an imperfect, flawed human being, my view tends to be very limited (myself, my family, my community, etc.), Out Live Your Life made me open my eyes to expand my view. When I look at my family, I shouldn't just see the obvious (maybe I should invest some time getting to know that outcast family member that everyone else has written off), when I look at my community I should see more than those that are affluent (that person in dirty, ragged clothes may have more to share than I could ever imagine).

Out Live Your Life, in a nutshell is to leave a legacy when your gone. Have a positive influence on those around you (even if you have to step outside your comfort zone). Let your memory live on long after you do. Not because you were rich and donated money and they named a library after you, not because you were famous and made lots of movies or records, but simply because you cared. Your best investment is to give of yourself.

Max Lucado gave lots of biblical examples of people (especially Jesus) doing just that. He also included real life people that made a difference in other peoples lives, from Mother Theresa to people that I had never heard of (but you better believe that the people that were affected by them will remember their names - will probably tell their children and grandchildren for generations to come).

I really enjoyed the book, but felt rather exposed and shallow while reading it. It did inspire me to look at people around me differently. Everyone around me is a child of God, loved by God and is no better or worse than I am. We are all loved equally by God. We should make those around us feel that way too. If you want to make a difference in this world and to those around you and you would like ideas and inspiration, I recommend this book.

This book was given to me for review by Book Sneeze, but the review and opinions are my own.

2 comments:

Canada said...

The theme in this book is quite simple in theory. Make your life a life that make a difference. How many times have you heard that in the church arena? Don't wave this book off, though.
I don't know if it's the authors 25 years of writing or if it's simply a gift, but he portrayed this idea in a way that really moved me. It speaks of really changing the world for God, but it also makes it seem so practical. That Christians just need to get up and do something. Which is exactly true.

Jena said...

Thanks for reading my blog and my book review. I really appreciate you comment about the book and your take on it.

Related Posts with Thumbnails