Monday, February 1, 2010

Boutique Style Burp Cloths


I love to give burp cloths as baby gifts. It is something every new mother can use (trust me - you can never have too many burp cloths). I know, there I go being practical again. The trouble with burp cloths is that the pretty ones that you buy in the store don't work very well (extremely thin and not very absorbent) and the one's that do work good, well...they're not very pretty.

So, my solution to that problem is that I purchase the cloth diapers (that make fantastic burp cloths) and pretty them up.

Sometimes I just give the mom a mixture, sometimes I stick with a theme (can you guess my theme in the picture above...greens and browns).

On the left burp cloth, I took fabric and covered the end just for a decorative touch. I then took a chunky letter stencil from my scrapbook supplies and traced a "B" (the baby's first initial) with a disappearing ink pen onto the same fabric that I used on the end of the burp cloth.



I then used heat 'n bond (not too crazy about it because it gumms up my sewing needle - I've heard wonder under is better - will try that next) and ironed on the letter. With a tight zig-zag stitch, I went around the edges of the letter.

On the middle burp cloth, I used some flannel camo fabric and covered the middle third of the diaper. (Before I did that, I embroidered a "B" on the camo fabric only.) I ironed the edges under the camo fabric about 1/4" first, laid the fabric on top of the diaper and used a straight stitch around the edges of the fabric.

The burp cloth on the right, I used a grosgrain ribbon (you know it's my fave) in greens and browns. I folded the cut edges under on the sides and straight stitched around the edges of the ribbon. Above that, I used a tan colored embroidery thread and did a large "B" in the background. Then I used a dark green embroidery thread in a smaller font and embroidered "Bradlee" over the center of the background "B."

I like to give them in trios. Just seems like a good number to give. I have seen these online and in boutiques for about $15 a burp cloth. I can make them for much less. I hope the moms like them, they are fun to make.

If you want to do this, you could make up several (in boy or girl colors/themes or neutral colors/themes) and have on hand for a last minute gift (you could always monogram it right before you give it). I have the intentions to do this, but never seem to get around to making any ahead of time (I'm a last minute kinda gal). These would be nice, even with out the monogram or embroidery if you don't have an embroidery machine.

2 comments:

Mel said...

You can just go ahead and plan to make a couple for me by sometime in July....does that give you enough time to work ahead? ;) I'll let you know in about a month whether to make mine in blues and greens or pinks and purples! ;)

Cheyenne said...

Thank you for the helpful tutorial! I had bought some material and the diapers, but hadn't done anything with them yet. I really like the one with the letter in matching fabric.

Related Posts with Thumbnails