Saturday, February 27, 2010

Necklace



I saw where you could take an ordinary, everyday washer and make a cute necklace out of it and you know I just had to try it (can't remember where I saw it exactly, sorry - I really like to give credit where credit is due).

But there are lots of places on the web (here is one of many). You can just SwagBuck it to find more (scroll down to the bottom of the page to use Swagbucks).

[Note: most of them used something called 'Diamond Glaze,' but I couldn't find any so I used 'Triple Thick' found at Hobby Lobby.]



The one that I saw used scrapbook paper, but I didn't see any scrapbook paper that I already had that I thought was jewelry worthy (so I used a scrap piece of fabric).

I traced the washer onto the backside of the fabric and cut just inside the line. I "glued" it on with Mod Podge and then coated it with Triple Thick. (I used 3 coats, it said to use 2 coats with something porous - so I followed the directions, but then I handled it too soon - didn't follow those directions too well - and I had to add a 3rd coat to fix my mess-up).

This time I allowed it to dry for 2 - 3 days (to make sure I didn't mess it up again). I then threaded a black "hemp-type" cord (found in the jewelry supply section of Hobby Lobby - already had on hand) through the hole and added a magnetic clasp (also found in the jewelry supply section of HL - also already had on hand).







Didn't have the right shirt on to wear the necklace to show you how it looked on, will try to do that soon. Not sure if you can tell, but the 'washer' part of the necklace looks very shiny (thanks to the Triple Thick) and more jewelry like. I am very pleased with how it turned out.

1 comment:

The Family of Logo said...

is this like mod podge? I bought some but haven't used it yet because I'm just not sure what/how to do, haha! This is great!

Related Posts with Thumbnails