Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Story Sack

This is something that you can do with/for your kids. I have been wanting to do this for awhile, but I just haven't made the time to do it. This is great for moms, but it would be really great for the classroom (all you teachers that have centers, here's an idea - and if you are already doing it, let me know your tricks and how it is going). I think it would even make a great Birthday or Christmas gift to a child.

A Story Sack is where you take a favorite book and put it in a "sack." You don't have to get too technical, the sack could be a manilla envelope, a gallon size ziploc bag, a plain canvas bag (from Hobby Lobby or somewhere), or if you want to get technical you can make a 'sack'. If you have an item (manilla envelope or canvas bag), decorate it to go with the book. **The idea here is to get children interested in reading and families interesting in reading together.** So make this apealing as you can.

Also, in the sack put things that relate to the book. It could be a coloring page, it could be something mentioned in the book, whatever. Just don't let it end with the book, let the fun continue. You could also have/make a snack that ties in with the book.

When I get around to doing this, this is what I want to do. My favortie children's book is 'Llama Llama Red Pajama.' So I would read this story near bedtime, have the boys get on their red PJ's, print some coloring pictures of llamas (I'm sure I can google some) and have them color them while I read the story (or just after). I could put buttons on the "red" canvas bag to make it look like PJ's, etc.

There are so many more creative people than I am. I would love to see what you do with this. If you do or have done this, send me pictures and I will post them.

Here are just a few sites to get you started...

Story Sack Ideas
Lets Create A Story Sack
Literacy Changes Lives
A Child's Place
Story Sack Corner

Remember Have Fun, spend quality time together as a family and get your child(ren) interested in reading. Who knows, you might enjoy it too.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails