Monday, January 19, 2009

Easy Shepherd's Pie



This is one of my family's favorites. It is easy to make, my kids love it (and they are kids - a little on the picky side), it is easy to double if you have company coming, and I usually have all the ingredients on hand.

Easy Shepherd's Pie

1 lb. ground beef (browned and drained)
1 can mixed veggies (drained) - you can also use frozen mixed veggies
1 can cheddar cheese soup
salt and pepper as desired
instant potatoes (serving of 4)-fixed according to package directions
4 slices of American cheese

Mix ground beef, veggies and soup together in an oven safe dish, season as desired. Spread instant potatoes on top of meat mixture, top with slices of American Cheese. Bake at 350 degrees until heated through (ususally 20 - 30 min.)

This is a great recipe because it has everything in it. You can serve it with a side salad and crescent rolls.

You can brown a bunch of ground beef up at one time and divide into 1 lb. freezer bags and freeze for later use. (Makes this and other recipes quicker.) I also like to finely chop an onion and put with my ground beef when I am browning it, but it is optional.

You can use fresh mashed potatoes if you want to (I go for the quick and easy). You can also use left over veggies and left over mashed potatoes if you have them and want to. I have also substituted just a can of corn and a can of peas (if I was out of mixed veggies). This is a very forgiving recipe.

It also freezes well. So somtimes I make 2 pies at once (eat one and share or freeze one - before I bake it in the oven, then I can pull it out, thaw it and bake it).

Hope your family enjoys it as much as our family does.

~Jena

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails