Sunday, November 16, 2008

Sour Dough Bread


It's that time of year again! I usually make my home made Sour Dough Bread starting around the first of November and all the way through December. We eat it like crazy (my boys love this), I also give some away, and I usually take a loaf when we are invited to someone's house to eat.
I love fresh home made bread (especially hot out of the oven). It is delicious and I love the way the house smells while it is baking. (Drool)
Check out Pillsbury for hints on baking with yeast.
Sour Dough Bread
6 C bread flour (all purpose will do)
1/2 C sugar
1 T salt
1/2 C corn oil
1 C starter (see below)
1 1/2 C warm water
Mix ingredients in large bowl. Form a ball and place in oiled bowl. Cover lightly with foil. Let stand 8 -12 hours at room temp. Punch down and knead. Divide and form 3 loaves (I actually make 1 large loaf and 4 mini loaves out of this recipe). Put into greased loaf pan. Let rise 8 - 12 hours at room temp. Bake at 325 degrees for 40 -45 min (less time for the mini loaves) or until golden brown. Remove from pan and brush with butter (we use home made honey butter at our house). Can freeze.
Sour Dough Starter
1 pkg. active dry yeast
2 C warm water
1/2 C instant potato flakes
1/2 C sugar
1 t salt
Mix yeast in 1/2 the water. Add remaining ingredients. Mix, then cover loosely. Leave at room temp. for 24 hours. Place in covered container and refrigerate. Feed in 3- 5 days.
Feed Starter
3/4 C sugar
3 T instant potato flakes
1 C warm water
Mix slightly. Cover lightly. Let stand at room temp. for 8 - 12 hours. Take out 1 C starter to make bread. Return remaining starter to refrigerator and feed again in 3 - 10 days and make bread or throw out 1 C starter.
I hope you like it too!
~Jena

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails