Friday, November 27, 2009

Indian Corn Cake

About 15 years ago, I saw an Indian Corn Cake in Country Woman Magazine (I think). I made it that year for Thanksgiving and then forgot about it. Not sure why, but I thought about it the other day and I thought that the boys might enjoy decorating it, so I got the stuff to do it (trying to go on memory - it's a pretty simple cake, but it has been 15 years).

I got a butter cake mix, I made Wilton's butter cream frosting myself (recipe here) and some Reece's Pieces (I got 4 boxes: 4 boys = 4 boxes, besides I knew that if I got too many they would get eaten anyway and it is better for me if they each have a box so there is no fighting).


I made the cake according to package directions and baked the cake in a 9" round cake pan and let it cool. After I got the cake out of the pan I cut it into a corn shape (not sure where the pics are - sorry), similar to the parentheses ( ). I then iced the cake. (For some reason, I had the hardest time getting the icing to stick to the cake. I got crumbs all in the icing, but it didn't matter because we were covering it up with Reece's pieces.)





Here are some pics of the boys putting the candy on the cake. (I gave each of them a bowl and poured their candies into the bowl to make it easier on them.)



Here are some pics of the cake with all the candy on it.





Here is the completed cake. I used some twisted paper ribbon (that I untwisted and shaped into a corn husk shape). Does it look like Indian Corn? Well, whether it does or not, it was our Thanksgiving Day dessert.


Out of curiosity, I did a search on the Country Woman website and found a picture of the cakes that I saw 15 years ago, you can check it out here.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails