Tuesday, November 5, 2019

40 Day Sugar Fast: Where Physical Detox Meets Spiritual Transformation




-->"Wake up! Be alert! Throw off the sin that's entangled you and run."

Until I did my first 40 day sugar fast, I never realized how much I turned to sugar. When I had a bad day I ate several cookies to make me feel better instead of turning to The Comforter. When I had a great day I would eat a piece of cake as a reward or celebration instead of thanking The Giver. Sugar had this powerful hold on me and I didn't even know it.

When we seek for comfort, satisfaction, rewards, etc. from something other than our Savior, we are making that an idol. We are putting it before God. As Exodus 20:3 states, "You shall have no other gods before me."

Wendy Speake has given us 40 daily devotionals to get us through the 40 day sugar fast. Each devotional will help you look for ways to seek Jesus instead of the sugar. You will seek satisfaction in our Lord and not in other things.

She brings it to our attention that not only do we make sugar an idol, but we can make many things idols...other foods, our phones, social media, alcohol, hobbies, shopping, streaming shows, a number of things. Wendy poses this question to help you identify an idol, "Would taking away __________ devastate me?"

When we break free of the hold that our idols have on us and we seek true satisfaction in Jesus, we will feel better physically and have more clarity. If you are longing for a true and satisfying relationship with your Lord, instead of a false and temporary remedy then this is the book for you.

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails